Being a guest on podcasts is a great way to grow your personal or company brand. Some of the obvious benefits include:
- Get introduced to new people who might be interested in following you or learning about what your company offers
- Reach very niche audiences
- Long-form content opportunity to have an intimate discussion rather than just a quote or short blog post
But there’s also a long-term benefit: search engine optimization (SEO).
Search engine optimization is a long game. It involves both building backlinks and context about you and your company. Fortunately, podcasting does both of these for you.
Search engines like to see that other sites link to yours. They view this as a vote of confidence in your site. When you appear on podcasts, you are likely to get two kinds of backlinks:
- Original – When the podcaster posts the episode you appear in, they will likely include at least one link to your site in the show description or show notes. This link will go from the podcaster’s site to yours.
- Secondary – Many sites and podcast apps syndicate the original post and show description. Most of them include any links as “no follow” links, but this can still lead to some benefit. Other sites include the links without any sort of qualification.
Appearing on podcasts gives context to both people and search engines. The search engines learn what you or your company’s expertise is by the content. People learn about you by listening.
And there’s a big benefit to people learning about you by listening to a podcast.
How many times have you listened to a podcast and then googled more information about the guest? I do it all of the time. And when I search for that person and click through to their site, it likely creates an SEO signal for Google. It tells Google that people are a) interested in the person or company and b) that the site they click through is the one best associated with that person or company.
Get started as a guest
Start reaping the benefits of being a guest on podcasts today. Sign up for a free account at PodcastGuests.com and check out this free guide about being a podcast guest.